Thursday, December 3, 2009

I think I know what I want to do with the rest of my life. I want to shift paradigms.

"Now that I'm older and arguably wiser, people sometimes ask me for that "one piece of advice." Usually, it involves stepping into someone else's perspective and seeing things from their viewpoint. With each year that passes, I find myself doing that more and more, leading me to dole out that piece of advice more frequently.

You see, there is no truth or ultimate reality. There is only our perception of it. We have a lens we see the world through. And everyone else has his or her own lens. Paradigm shifts happen when we suddenly see reality through another lens, and the best way I've found to do that is to try to understand what another person's view of reality looks like." Gord Hotchkiss (Search Insider)

As I was reading this article, I thought one of the most important roles of teachers and parents is being paradigm shifters. The starting point is to understand the child’s perception to support this process in their own terms. By tuning in to the child's perception, we model the exact behavior we expect from them. Next, we can verbalize our thinking process saying: “We sometimes have different opinions or ideas, and that is OK.”

No comments:

Post a Comment